Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Helmet Cam - May 31, 2011 @TuesdayTheRent

This is the video taken from the helmet cam from the report here. At some point I realized I didn't have use of my big ring, but, being in the midst of some action, I decided it was just a slipped cable or something.

Later I really tried to shift into the big ring, hoping that if the cable had slipped it'd have slipped just a little. No luck. By the end of the race I could feel the cable head poking out of the lever - the cable had no tension on it. Ends up I broke a cable housing stop, making "while I race" repairs virtually impossible.

What all that means is that I raced a lot of the race in the 39T ring, with an 11-23 cassette in back. I only used the 11T and 12T, and the 12T was pretty light for the pace. This is the equivalent of a 53x15 and 53x16, for those of you Juniors and those who know about gearing.

Curiously enough, when reviewing the clip to find where I lost the big ring, I noticed that my pedaling action smoothed out significantly once I had to spin. It was tough to find that spot - I don't look obviously at the cranks when I first discover the problem since I thought such an action would alert others to my problem and encourage them to attack. I also thought that it was temporary and that it'd be okay in a lap or two. That wasn't the case, of course.

But the lesson here - forced to use easier gears, I relearned how to pedal more smoothly.

Enjoy.




3 comments:

Suitcase of Courage said...

Nice job - that's what these races are for: experimenting. Though your experiment wasn't exactly, um, planned.

And what's with that guy and the swerve? I hope it wasn't intentional (fatigue?). If it was, then that's poor form of another kind. Racing's risky enough without antics.

Loren said...

I get that the video is private ;(

Aki said...

Uploading a corrected version. It'll be live briefly. Sorry about that.